Not sure where to go for your next island trip? Redang Island, Malaysia may be just what you need for a relaxing holiday!
Look at that clear sea waters on Redang Island! Source: medium.com
Redang Island is situated off the coast of Terengganu, and it has been a popular destination for as long as one remembers when it comes to diving, snorkelling and enjoying the sandy beaches and clear waters. Redang Island, or Pulau Redang, is a part of the protected marine areas, also known as Terengganu Marine Park, meant to conserve the ecosystem and biodiversity of the island.
Sometime between April to October (preferably before October on the safe side, as the northeast monsoon starts setting in come November) is the time the Redang Island weather is just great either for short or long staycations.
Interesting Things to Do on Redang Island Malaysia
Island hopping on Redang Island allows you to explore hidden gems of natural beauty. Source: blog.traveloka.com
Redang Island is made up of 9 islands in total: Pulau Redang (the most happening island), Pulau Pinang (not to be confused with Penang Island), Pulau Ling, Pulau Ekor Tebu, Pulau Kerengga Besar, Pulau Kerengga Kecil, Pulau Paku Besar, Pulau Paku Kecil and Pulau Lima.
So take the opportunity to explore these smaller islands while on Redang Island. Not only that, you can also consider travelling to nearby islands such as Lang Tengah Island and Pulau Perhentian if you are feeling adventurous!
Beaches in Redang Island
The island has one of Malaysia’s best known beaches. Source: flightnetwork.com
Island visits will not be complete without enjoying the beautiful views at beaches. Fortunately, Redang Island is one of the best islands where you can relax (or maybe suntan?) on clean, white sandy beach.
Some of the popular beaches on Pulau Redang include Taaras Beach (known to be the best beach on Redang Island),Long Beach (also known as Pasir Panjang Beach),Teluk Dalam Beach (divided into 2 beaches, namely Teluk Dalam Besar Beach and Teluk Dalam Kecil Beach) and Mutiara Beach. You could also go trekking on the island or play beach volleyball in a group – there is something for everyone here that boredom is out of question!
Diving & Snorkelling
Enjoy gorgeous views of coral reefs at Redang Island! Source: lagunaredang.com.my
Diving and snorkelling are among the most popular activities on Redang Island, and are among the main reasons why visitors pick this island as their favourite travel destination. You can explore and enjoy views of the beautiful clear waters and the undersea creatures plus pretty coral reefs when you dive and snorkel here. You can also take diving courses here from diving schools to get a diving license known as Open Water license or PADI.
Don’t forget to check out a shipwreck and swim with turtles as you snorkel and dive at the island – it’s an amazing experience not to be missed!
Such a cute baby turtle! Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
If you are not into underwater activities, you can still make the fullest – you can go for turtle watching at Pasir Chagar Hutang at the northeast part of the Island. There is a Marine Park Centre where you can learn more about turtle research and conservation efforts to protect the turtle population and marine life there.
Where to Stay on Redang Island
A view of Taaras Beach & Spa Resort. Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Pulau Redang houses many five-star and luxurious accommodations that you can stay in, all which are lovely resorts perfect for an exclusive getaway. Below are some of the popular places to stay on the island:
- Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
- Coral Redang Island Resort
- Redang Beach Resort
- Laguna Redang Island Resort
- Redang Pelangi Resort
- Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa
Alternatively, if you happen to be on Lang Tengah Island, you could stay at our resort and travel to Redang Island from there.
Redang Island Package
Get the best holiday deals with Redang Island tour packages. Source: backpackingmalaysia.com
Rather than visiting Pulau Redang headlong, it is always easier to get a tour package as it is more economical and convenient. Popular Redang Island package includes:
- Holiday package, mainly for those looking at hotel stays and buffet meals
- Diving package, specially for divers with accommodation included
- Snorkelling package, for those who love to snorkel
Check with your travel agent or company on the specifics of each package before you purchase to get the best deal for your travel.
What to Eat at Redang Island Malaysia
Okay, this seafood at Hazeme Seafood Restaurant is enough to make us drool… Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Overview of Bayu Bar at Taaras Beach. Source: thetaaras.com
The next thing you will think about after accommodation for your trip – FOOD! The good thing is, there are restaurants that serve really tasty dishes to satisfy your hungry tummies after a long day out. Here are some recommendations:
- Hazeme Seafood Restaurant, Teluk Dalam: For great and affordably priced seafood, known for yummy ikan bakar, wheelchair accessible
- Bayu Bar, Taaras Beach: Cool pizza place with a variety of alcohols for lunch and dinner, indoor and outdoor seating
- Aima Grill Fish Restaurant, Taaras Beach: Perfect place for all your meals, vegetarian friendly, serves seafood and Asian cuisine, outdoor seating
- Summer Point, Long Beach: For awesome dinners, serves mainly seafood and Asian cuisine, vegetarian friendly, takes reservations
- Chengkih Pool Bar, Long Beach: For those who want to drink the night away at a local bar/pub, outdoor seating, good for lunch and dinner
Tips to remember
It is always good to know what are the things to be careful of before visiting your travel destination.
Good preparation is key to a wonderful travel experience. Here are some important tips you should be aware of:
- Many resorts will be closed from November to February due to the monsoon. It is advisable to travel after the monsoon season to get the most out of your trip there. It is also important note that the weather on Redang Island weather can be quite unpredictable. The monsoon season may happen earlier or later than expected, so plan your journey accordingly. Keep watch of the weather forecast before travelling there.
- Room reservations at resorts are usually open from March, but some from Fbruary, so do check with the resort first.
- Try to travel during the time where there is little to no rain predicted as rainy days affect a lot of main activities such as boat trips, beach visits, diving and snorkelling.
- You could probably get cheaper room rates in October as it is near to the monsoon period.
- Make sure you bring enough cash and a credit card as there is no ATM on the island.
- Mobile phone coverage should be fine on the island – the local SIM card should work.
- Skimpy beachwear and bikinis are acceptable, however, do not go topless there. It is advisable for you to dress decently when participating in water activities.
How to Go Redang Island
Here are different ways you can get to the island:
The fastest and most convenient way is to take a domestic flight to Redang Island. Travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Terengganu airport takes about 55 minutes, while flying from Johor Bahru to Kuala Terengganu airport will take about 80 minutes.
Common flight timings to Redang airport:
- AirAsia (KUL-TGG): 7.05am-7.55am
- Firefly (SZB-TGG): 7.20am-8.20am
After your flight, take a 30-minute coach transfer or taxi ride to the Merang Jetty or Kuala Terengganu Shahbandar Jetty to the island.
You could consider travelling by bus or coach if you are okay with long travelling hours. Generally, a bus from Kuala Lumpur will take about 7 hours to reach the two Kuala Terengganu jetties. After that, travel by sea to reach the Island.
After reaching Kuala Terengganu, travel to Pulau Redang by sea via scheduled ferry or private ferry that is arranged by your travel resort.
For scheduled ferry, the arrival and departure timings are fixed to either Merang Jetty or Kuala Terengganu Shahbandar Jetty. Common ferry ride schedule is as follows:
- From Merang Jetty: 9.30am
- From Shahbandar Jetty: 9am, 10.30am, 3pm
- For custom rides, check with your resort regarding private ferry services.
By private chartered boat
This is quite a popular mode of transportation especially for a big group, and also for those who wish to visit acording to their convenience. However, you will have to book in advance as this service may be fully reserved during peak seasons.
Want more than just Redang Island? Come explore Lang Tengah Island!
If you can’t get enough of island vacation, consider hopping over to Lang Tengah Island!
Lang Tengah Island is in the vicinity of Pulau Redang – a haven for divers, snorkelers and lovers of islands in general. Although comparitively less popular, its natural beauty is at par with the former island with diving spots and rich flora and fauna.
If you ever visit Lang Tengah Island, consider spending a night or two at our resort for a relaxing stay. We provide tour packages to suit your holiday preferences – check out our packages for more info!
Your Perfect Getaway At Redang Island
Island vacations are one of the best ways to destress in life. Source: you.ctrip.com
Redang Island is a beautiful destination to visit in Malaysia and it is not without solid reason – with gorgeous views, wonderful marine biodiversity, luxurious resorts and fresh, delicious food, there’s so much to love about this fascinating place.
This article is brought to you by Summer Bay Resort.
Hope this helps provide some insight to make your trip planning a little easier – Remember to like, share and comment if you enjoy reading this!